Sunbird has been developed by EkStep Foundation to fulfill it's education mission to enhance access to learning opportunities at scale for millions of learners particularly in the K-12 space. The Sunbird community is growing with adoption and contributions from various individuals and organisations. Sunbird building blocks are being used in diverse areas such as education, health, lifelong learning, among others.
Ecosystem partners like NIIT Limited, Tarento technologies, Tekdi technologies and others provide technology services. For the full list, please refer to the Community page.
Implementation partners like Ernst & Young (EY) and PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC) provide program management support.
We are happy to connect potential Sunbird adopters to our ecosystem partners. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more.
Each building block lists current and possible use cases. For more, please see here.
The Sunbird ED building block supports the following broad areas of learning management,
- Creation and consumption of content, courses, training, lesson plans and assessments
- Storage of knowledge resources for use by practitioners and professionals
- Configuration and views for dashboards to showcase progress and assessment at an institutional or individual level
- Student and practitioner profile and registry services
- Organization of knowledge through an open taxonomy infrastructure
- Creation and publishing of announcements, notifications and circulars
- Linking of physical and digital assets using QR codes
- Provision for e-credentialing services
Before you install Sunbird ED, you need to make sure that you have the required hardware, software and skill sets. The details for these are available in the Sunbird ED technical documentation. For details, click here.
Being a completely open source project, you can contribute to Sunbird in various ways. You can partner with us by:
- Creating tools for the platform
- Developing modules and software for Sunbird
- Architecting new instances of Sunbird or adding to existing Sunbird architecture
- Developing content for Sunbird
- Implementing Sunbird
- Providing domain expertise (Education/Research/Innovation)
To contribute to Sunbird, start by exploring and engaging with Sunbird building blocks. Each block has a discussion forum for further queries.
If a forum is unavailable, post your query to Sunbird ED discussion forums.